Saturday, July 29, 2006

Communicating

Eva has been talking / signing up a storm lately. This morning, all four of us were in bed just trying to plan out the morning and talking. After we had a bit of a plan in place, I looked at Eva and asked her if she was hungry and wanted to go out and get bagels. She kept signing yes until I finally understood what she was saying - I just didn't expect her to answer me! Then she looked at us and signed diaper chance almost as if to say, wait, we can't eat until you change me. Just fascinating.

Yesterday, at her 12 month appointment, she showed the doctor a nice range of signs. As he was talking to her, she kept signing 'cow' for some reason, which of course, had Mickey cracking up. Not sure if she was calling him a cow or what she was doing, but she clearly wanted to indicate 'cow' every time he talked.

When it was time for him to examine her, she continuously signed 'Daddy'. This was the first doctor's appointment that Todd has missed, so I have to think she wanted him there and was trying to ask where he was. She did the same thing that evening. I put her in bed and she signed 'Daddy' a couple of times as if to ask for him. By the time he got back from Oregon, she was sound asleep.

'More' is another one of her new consistent signs. She'll let you know when she wants more and most of the time, what she wants more of.

We are also noticing just how much she understands. You can tell her to do something and she will very likely do it. We were playing on the floor in her room when I told her to go get her purple ball which was behind her. She turned around, went straight to the ball and brought it to me. Last night in the bathtub, I told her to put the fish in the pelicans mouth and then to shut it. She did both things that I told her and just smiled (probably because I was so excited)!

No comments: